THIS CLASS IS FULL AND WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY MORE APPLICATIONS. THANK YOU
Course Description: This is a two-part course. Participants can select one or both parts. Part One will be in Fernandina Beach and will consist of a 2-hour lecture and demonstration
- Bringing home the herbs – bottles, jars, & plants
- NE Florida peculiarities in growing herbs
- Now that I have them, what do I do with them and when do I do it? (Includes samples)
- Simple herbs
- Herbal blends
- Vinegars and Oils
- The nutritional value of herbs
Part two will be at Marge’s home in Callahan and will be a participatory experience and will include a tour of my herb garden. This will from 10:AM – 2PM As a group participants will prepare and enjoy an herbal lunch which includes an entrée, yeast bread, side, dessert, and herb infused wine. All ingredients and equipment will be provided.
It is expected that all participants be vaccinated and that masks and social distancing be observed.
Instructor: Marge Powell has been an herbalist for over 30 years and an avid plant person her entire life. Her herbal interests span both the culinary, the medicinal and body care as well as growing herbs. Marge is a passionate cook and most of her cooking is herb enhanced. She teaches classes in cooking with herbs, making your own medicines, creating lotions and ointments, making soap, and blending scents. She has conducted hands-on workshops on these and a variety of other herbal topics across the United States including Lifelong learning workshops in NE Florida. She is currently a board member of the International Herb Association (IHA) and the International Herb Association Foundation and is past president of IHA’s former Southeastern Region. She has had numerous herbal articles published in IHA’s annual Herb of the Year publications.
- Part One: Wednesday, March 9, 1:00-3:00 m.
- Part Two: Wednesday, March 16, 10:00-2:00 m.
- Part One: Fernandina Beach Library community room, 24 North 4th Street, Fernandina
- Part Two: Marge’s home in Instructor will send address and directions to registrants prior to the class.
- Part One — $15
- Part Two — $25 (will cover cost of food)
Materials: None needed. Participants may wish to bring an apron for Part Two cooking class.